Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
I'm part of the project where we have written many fitnesse scripts for our system. System is written in C++ but we have implemented Java middleware that is proxy between fitnesse scripts and C++ application. Basically middleware is set of java fixtures which uses custom communication protocol (with java support) to communicate with C++ application. Unfortunatelly team that writes this protocol will drop java support but will still support C# version of this protocol. Because we have a lot of fitnesse scripts we would like to rewrite middleware in C# to use C# version of protocol our goal is to reuse old fitnesse scripts.

So I have few questions:
1. Is C# support for fitnesse (https://github.com/jediwhale/fitsharp) reliable?
2. Is fitnesse behavior changes somehow if I launch same fitnesse code with C# instead of java? In other words I worry if fitnesse script will work the same if I reimplement whole system in C# (assuming I reimplemented that C# classes works same way as java classes).

Re: Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
1. fitSharp is still actively supported.
2. There is some behavior that is only implemented in Java and some that
is only implemented in C# but the majority of behavior is common to
both.  It will really depend what features you are using.

On 2017-07-11 08:41, [hidden email] [fitnesse] wrote:

> I'm part of the project where we have written many fitnesse scripts
> for our system. System is written in C++ but we have implemented Java
> middleware that is proxy between fitnesse scripts and C++ application.
> Basically middleware is set of java fixtures which uses custom
> communication protocol (with java support) to communicate with C++
> application. Unfortunatelly team that writes this protocol will drop
> java support but will still support C# version of this protocol.
> Because we have a lot of fitnesse scripts we would like to rewrite
> middleware in C# to use C# version of protocol our goal is to reuse
> old fitnesse scripts.
>
> So I have few questions:
> 1. Is C# support for fitnesse (https://github.com/jediwhale/fitsharp)
> reliable?
> 2. Is fitnesse behavior changes somehow if I launch same fitnesse code
> with C# instead of java? In other words I worry if fitnesse script
> will work the same if I reimplement whole system in C# (assuming I
> reimplemented that C# classes works same way as java classes).

Re: Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
Great to hear that you are a heavy FitNesse user with C++.

To give you the right answer I might would need to know more what the Java layer is doing and about how many lines of code we are talking about and which protocol it is implementing.
How often does the Java code needs to be changed?

And do you use Slim or Fit?

Re: Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
I'm using Slim. It's very hard to point out precesily what java layer is doing because it's a lot of code. I think it would be easier if I knew major differences between java and c# fitness bahaviour.

Re: Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
How do you plan to rebuild it in C# if you don't know what the Java layer is doing?

The differences between Java and C# slim runner might be neglectful in this case.

Re: Porting Java Fixtures To C# Fixtures

FitNesse mailing list
If you're using the Slim test system, you should have to same behavior
in Java and C# because the Slim table processing is all driven from
within the FitNesse engine.  The differences occur when using the Fit
test system.